Wed., 7 December 2022, 3:30 pm – 5:00 pm AEDT
The Department of Education and Training’s guidance for schools on supporting and empowering students in youth justice has been developed by Schools and Regional Services' Youth Participation Unit and recognises that:
- additional support is needed to enable young people within the youth justice system to overcome the often-complex barriers to engagement in education and histories of trauma
- positive relationships between educators and young people are central to empowering young people within the youth justice system to reach their potential.
One of the key actions of this guidance includes ensuring that all young people within the youth justice system are appointed a learning mentor by their school settings.
The Learning Mentor role provides important support at school for our children and young people involved in the youth justice system.
The Learning Mentor has the opportunity to make a significant difference to the school experience of our most vulnerable students and has the potential to significantly impact their sense of belonging and connection to their education setting.
This Learning Mentor training is delivered by a multi-disciplinary team that includes LOOKOUT’s Youth Justice Advisors, the Education Justice Initiative and the Youth Justice Education Pathway Coordinators from the Department of Education and Training. All presenters have a passion and commitment to ensuring our schools and other educational providers are supported to work with children and young people who have youth justice involvement.
The team has extensive knowledge and experience in the youth justice and education space and are excited to be working alongside colleagues in our schools who are equally passionate about ensuring some of our most vulnerable students are experiencing success alongside their peers.
The training will be held online on Wednesday 7 December 2022 from 3.30pm – 5.00pm via WebEx and will assist participants to gain a better understanding of:
- the Victorian Youth Justice system
- common educational barriers
- your role as a Learning Mentor, and strategies for building positive and safe relationships with young people
- additional supports available for young people in youth justice (which includes the Learning Mentor role).
If you would like more information about this training, please email the LOOKOUT Youth Justice Advisor Mr Tony Bailey at Antony.Bailey@education.vic.gov.au or the Youth Justice Education Pathway Coordinator, Cahlum Dearsley at Cahlum.Dearsley@education.vic.gov.au
Once registered you will receive a WebEx invite on the Friday following your registration.